Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Mystery of God

Is God as mysterious as culture says?

In a word, yeah. 

I mean, He IS the creator of the universe and even Scripture breathes the absolute unfathomableness of him:
“As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:9

It’s both scriptural and intuitive to think that a divine being would be more intelligent or at least “different intelligent” than humans.

Sometimes, however, I think that people, in all forms, can mistake this and turn it into “we can’t know ANYTHING about Him…so why bother? 

I’ll live a good life, fingers crossed!, and hopefully I won’t burn in hell, but you know, it’s up to God!”

I see this dogma take its toll in the universalist ideology that dying is somehow this really uncertain spiritual transportation mixed with “only God can judge me” and a little bit of "Salvation Yahtzee" (i.e. a sense of a God who has "whim") and, ultimately, each person will await their fate, with no real previously known discernment if they will be climbing a staircase or entering an elevator.

I see it in instagram posts like this one: 



But is that really true? Again, I’m defining “true” as “in the Bible” here so if you personally don’t see the Bible as totally and completely and perfectly true, please, continue reading, but with that lens for context.

I posed the question to someone close to me, “But, we can at least be certain of our salvation, surely, yes?”

She paused and thought. Her answer was basically, no; that you can “try and be a good person,” but that like we cannot know the fates of those around us, we cannot Know our own salvation “potential.”

I like to think of it like this: Have you heard that saying “you’re on a need-to-know basis?”

Well, God is this huge cosmic cloud of awesomeness and justice and mercy and glory and love and unfathomable and incomprehensible might and being.

BUT, he DID put us on on a need-to-know basis!

The things that we “need-to-know” can be found in the B-I-B-L-E.

And, I believe, the Bible says a great deal about salvation and that, without a doubt, we can know, if we look (and want to see it) carefully, our fate.

God doesn’t just want us to guess his promises are true.

God wants us to act and live like his promises are true.

Because, if God’s promises aren’t promises, then he isn’t who or what he says he is and everything, well, totally falls apart (if you haven’t seen Dogma, that crude and crass “Jay and Silent Bob” movie actually does a decent job of explaining that postulate (if nothing else)).

I’m gonna be short and sweet with this…

John 3:16: for God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life

(believe in Jesus and that he paid for your sins = salvation)

But how does this work…

Ephesians 2:8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God…

But faith is just hope right…and hope certainly isn’t “fool proof”…how do I know it “stuck?”

 I mean, I HOPE that I’ll get my paycheck on Friday, and I have FAITH that it will go through, but POTENTIALLY the bank could explode and the IT guy could take meth and delete all of our accounts…something could still go wrong

Yes, to have faith is to have hope but, again matching truth and definitions and reality back on the Bible we see a true definition of faith...

Hebrews 11:1 Now FAITH is CONFIDENCE in what we hope for and ASSURANCE about what we do not see.

Another translation…

Hebrews 11:1 Faith is the CONFIDENCE that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us ASSURANCE about things we cannot see.

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine.

There’s your bonafide guarantee.

You can ACTUALLY go to sleep tonight KNOWING you are going to heaven.

If you want to learn more about doing this, you know how to “get at me.”




1 comment: