Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Shifting Sands

One of the most frequent arguments I hear about any sort of “Biblically based controversy” is the “slippery slope one.”

You know, the one that goes, “Oh, if we (society) allow X, then people will marry goats, and THEN where will society be?!”

(for some reason it doesn't matter what X is...people marrying goats always pops up.)

People on both sides get somewhat grid-locked because they get hung up on the absurdity of the claim.

I used to never understand why Christians “went there.” I mean, jeez, we’re trying to make a point here and you’re making us look like crazy people!

But, now hear me out, I kind of see the point BEHIND the argument.

See the examples are terrible. Just awful. Poor logic. Scare tactics. Emotional garbage.

Yeah. All that.

But what, I believe, the IDEOLOGY (or, dare I say, the theology) behind it is that if we do not hold to standard A, what then causes us to reject standard B. And, eventually, do these lines blur? And if so, how far? Over how much time?

I think those are concerns that both “sides” share. I don’t think anyone “wants” a society filled with human/goat couples. I imagine the biggest societal argument today, oddly, would have nothing to do with the actual logistics, but the idea that you can’t really prove a goat’s consent.

Anyways…

All I am going to say here is that I saw something. An image.

It’s being passed around on Facebook and super applauded.

It’s also mixed in with several other images that most (sane) people totally agree with.

Like just kind of … snuck in there.

Maybe no one will notice.

Let’s talk about abortion.

Ugh.

I don’t really want to talk about abortion, but I’m just saying, okay?

This is a topic that I have been inundated with since I was little. 

Pro-choice was a BIG DEAL where I was raised. 

They through around terms like “stop forced motherhood!” as a comparison to modern-day slavery. Yeah.

That stuff.

Anyways, every.single.pro-choice professor, teacher, mother, father, pastor, soccer coach, friend, friend’s mom, WHATEVER, every single one would always end the conversation with, “I mean, it’s not like abortions should just be “handed out willy nilly.” BUT for “those instances,” where it’s TRULY needed (enter in rhetoric x,y,z)…it should be available.”

Made sense. It was tame. It was abortion lite.

It’s compassion! It’s humanity. It’s human rights.

This was 10 years ago, guys. 10.

All I am doing is making a simple observation.

But the sands HAVE shifted.

The lines HAVE moved.

The chants HAVE changed. 

And, they’ve changed from this:



to this:




Is this really where we want to go? I'm just asking the question. 

This blog is not about abortion.
This blog is about the idea that the whole "unchanging universal truth" based on zero grounds thing is deeply flawed. 

It.does.shift. It does. 

I've been in the turbulence. 

Ephesians 4:14
We won't be  tossed and blown about by every wind of new teaching. We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth. 


1 comment:

  1. For me and our house, Ephesians 4:14

    ReplyDelete