Thursday, June 18, 2015

Dear Daughter... / Father's Day 2015



Dear Daughter,

This Sunday is Father’s Day, and though you don’t know it quite yet, or maybe you do, you have the very best Daddy in the whole wide world!

Daddy claims that he’s going to love you just as much as (and no more than) your stinky brothers.

He thinks that because he loves your brothers SO MUCH that he thinks he couldn’t possibly love anyone else any more or differently!

He thinks that because he is the best daddy in the whole wide world.

But Mommy knows better.

On the day we found out you were a girl, that we were going to be given a daughter, your daddy told me he had to “live a long life now and lose weight.”

Apparently me and your brothers “will be just fine” if something happened to him.

But you, you are special.

I have a special bond with your brothers that Daddy won’t get and you will have a special bond with your Daddy that I won’t fully understand (and that’s okay), but I can give you a little preview because, right now, I am the lady in Daddy’s life! 

And it’s a GREAT place to be!

Daddy might have tattoos of skulls on his arms and a really hairy face but, he is the sweetest, kindest man in the whole wide world.

I know how he’ll treat you, because I know how he treats me.

He’ll never expect you to be someone you’re not.

He’ll allow you to have really girly days and he’ll love it when you sleep in a tent under the stars without showering after a long hike and twigs in your hair.

He’ll teach you to hunt right along with your brothers.

He’ll think you’re gorgeous in sweats (even if they belong to him and not off some fancy shelf from a girly boutique).

He thinks, already, you’re a shoe-in for a professional snowboarding champion because he has confidence for days and that’ll rub off on you.

(You don’t have to snowboard professionally…I’m just saying that’s an extremely viable option according to your Daddy.)

He’ll find you really gorgeous when you’re being smart. Find a man like that someday.

He’ll never ever question the amount of cookies you eat in a day.

His friends will joke that he’s a hipster, but he’ll reject every label that the world puts on him.

I’m kind of like that too. There’s a good chance you’ll want to fit in your very own category yourself.

And that’s totally okay with us.

He’ll pray for you. He won’t do it out loud. But I guarantee he is praying for you.

He’ll protect you above all costs. You’ll feel much safer when Daddy is in the house.

He’ll always have time for you. Always. Even if you’re just calling to tell him that you don’t know what you want for dinner. If it’s important to you, it’s important to him. And he’ll always make time for it.

He’ll encourage you and support your dreams.

He’ll consider your dreams “done deals” without them being an actuality.

He will think and tell everyone who will listen that you are the most beautiful girl in the whole wide world.

He is going to love you so much. He already does.

I cannot wait for you two to meet.


1 comment:

  1. This is incredibly beautiful! I know my husband loves our girls more than anything! I never thought about it in this way. Thank you for sharing! I'm so subscribing to you! Congratulations on your baby girl!

    ReplyDelete