Saturday, May 30, 2015

"The Ball Is In Your Court"

Or, Why There Is No Court and There Shouldn't Be A Ball



Has anyone ever ended a conversation or an argument with you on that note?

I am no sports expert, but the phrase needs to die a slow death.

Basically, what it’s saying is here’s all this emotional garbage and now YOU are responsible for fixing that and making me “feel better.”

Somehow, the premise is, if you leave the ball in “your court” now that person’s feelings are “your responsibility.” Fix it!

Garbage. Balderdash. 

The ball is never OUT OF YOUR COURT.

In reality, it’s never out of HIS court.

The ball, if there is a ball, flows directly between you and the Lord.

YOU are in charge of how you feel, how you experience life, and all of this is solely tied into your relationship with your creator.

Not in your husband.
Not in your children.
Not in your boyfriend.
Not in your mentors.
Not in your girlfriends.
Please God, not in the Kardashians.

You and Jesus.

But look, here’s the KEY: this isn’t for the OTHER person’s benefit!

It’s for YOURS.

The minute that you let that ball out of your court you are unduly placing your heart and feelings and emotions and … whatever into the hands of someone else!

Is that really where you want them?

It is no one else’s responsibility how you feel.

When you do this, you allow yourself to be a whirlwind of emotions and highs and lows and ups and downs because you are placing your stability in other (unstable) people. This is NOT the Lord’s plan for you.

Psalm 16:8 puts your circle of influence right where it should be: “I have set the Lord before me continually; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved!”

Eleanor Roosevelt would say, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”

So, if someone is putting “a ball in your court” tell them (strongly, but nicely) to knock it off.  
Again, for their OWN sanity!

Does this mean you go out of your way to offend them? Clearly not.

But, boundaries are okay!

If you are going around throwing balls in other people’s courts…why?

Seek stability and permanence and validity and resolution from Jesus.

He is the ONLY one who can give it.

I just want to tell everybody this:

I may getting an “F” in our relationship right now.

100%. Totally.  Again, if there is a ball, I’m SURELY dropping it.

It’s not because I don’t care: It’s because I have a different job description now.

My job description looks like this:

1.     Jesus
2.     Chase
3.     BraylonZacharyOscarNewBayBay

That’s it. Period.

Is it my job to speak love? Yes.
Do I always do this perfectly? No.
Does anyone? No.
Is that why you (and me too) need a relationship with Jesus? Yes!

I have no choice (and, no higher calling) but to filter my life against those three responsibilities.


Does this relationship GIVE me strength, or does it drain me and PROHIBIT my ability to do my job well? 

1 comment:

  1. There is freedom in knowing your Highest calling is Jesus, Chase, BraylonZacharyOscarNewBayBay. love you, Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete