Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Christmas Blog That I Need to Read

Have you ever heard the phrase, “With great privilege comes great responsibility?”

I don’t know who said it first.

I don’t care to Google it.

I know my Dad said it from time to time.

It’s a good one.

I, like every other mother on this planet, have the unbelievable gift and privilege of my children.

But sometimes, being a mother during the holidays, well it’s mommahood amped up on sugar cookies.

Literally.

Have you also heard the phrase, “If Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy?”

Isn’t that so true? I think husbands think that phrase means that they are supposed to say “Yes, dear.” Because if they don’t, we’ll be unhappy and the whole mood of the house changes.

Somehow, we aren’t just responsible for ribbon and wrapping and dinner and … x and y and z.

We are also, in a way, responsible for the very mood and attitude of our home.

Quite honestly, that is extremely and utterly overwhelming somedays, especially as Christmas rolls in.

Motherhood is a constant push from the Lord to serve, and serve, and oh, yeah serve some more.

I don’t have any hair ties left.

Haven’t for about a week.

Have been to about 60 stores in the last week.

Haven’t thought about buying a pack.

It’s like that.

I’m not writing this to be yet another exhausting mommy martyr on the internet. 

It’s what we signed up for, and truly it is my greatest joy.

I’m just writing this to virtually hug another mother (like me) who is struggling with, on top of everything else, the seemingly unbearable weight of “creating” another Christmas out of digging and scraping patience and calm and Silent Nights out of our shaking and failing will.

There is absolutely some truth to Mom being the glue that keeps each day moving from one to the next.

And I know without a doubt that if my attitude is terrible, my family’s is as well.

That is a burden. But, as the saying goes, with great privilege comes great responsibility.

But I know that if I really seek out that responsibility and that attitude that I need this holiday season, it is not to come from me or from my to-do list.

To truly find peace and to truly extend hospitality and grace and to be a part of what the Lord has called me to be, I must seek Him first and only.

I have to put my to-do list down.

I have to hug my kids one more time.

I have to rub my husband’s shoulders.

I have to wash another plate.

And another.

And wipe the baby’s sweat from his fever.

And I must do it all for the Kingdom.

That my home might offer a respite for the weary.

For those that this great privilege is a dream that seems out of reach.

For if I do not exude Christ this holiday it’s not even about my family being unhappy.

It’s about lost souls not getting found.

My family, to a certain degree, and please don’t misunderstand this, is a distraction from what is really going on in the Kingdom.

What is really my responsibility is not to create an instagram feed worthy Christmas.

What is really my responsibility is not even to create a Jesus worthy Christmas (whatever that is).

What is really my responsibility is to create a place in my heart for Jesus to create, again, His Christmas.

That is all.

I’m going to say that again.

That. Is. All.



My prayers are with you mommas this holiday and know that I am with you and that Jesus is with you too.

Our families are more than our little ones waiting to unwrap Jesus' love on Christmas Day.

They are our flock. Lead them and guide them well. 

It's not about us. It's just...not. 

Just like it's not about anyone else.

Except for Christ. And Christ in us. Immanuel. God with us. 

Be strengthened today! 


1 comment:

  1. My Sweet Kaitlin, your blog and sharing of your home is offers a respite for this weary daughter, aunt, sister, wife and worker. Christmas peace to all you welcome into your home.
    Love you,
    Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete