Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Abram

This is (sort of) a follow up post to my last post.
It’s a prime example of how God’s revolutionary blessings in our lives have NOTHING to do with us.

And how God’s revolutionary blessings in our lives have EVERYTHING to do with Him.

Genesis 15 (I’m reading Genesis with a Bible group right now so I apologize for the multiple post emphasis) describes the great transaction from the Lord to Abram (before he’s Abraham… and had many sons. And many sons had Father Abraham. Lol. I crack myself up.).

So okay, here are the three things I noted from the text. Short and sweet today people!

The Promises of God are not complicated!

Note #1: Abram complained

Literally WHILE GOD is “standing” in front of Abram and listing all the AWESOME things He’s going to do for Abram, Abram interrupts Him…with a complaint.

“O Sovereign Lord, what good are all your blessings when I don’t even have a son?”
15:2

Translation: I know how to bless myself better, God. Thanks for trying.

Note #2: Abram doubted

So the Lord continues to explain and describe more blessing.

“O Sovereign Lord, how can I be sure that I will actually possess it?”
15:8

Translation: God, are you sure you can do that in my life? Are you really who you say you are?

Note #3: God blessed Abram big-fat-anyways

-countless descendants

-super dope land

-a fully, richly, deeply blessed life

Conclusion: (you must see where I’m going here)

The idea that we must do certain things to obtain the Lord’s blessings is simply not Biblical. (Of course we must “un do” one thing, and that is relinquishing our doing and “accept” this free gift from the Lord. Message me to find out how this works).

We serve our Lord FROM blessing and not FOR blessing (Pastor Bill Giovannetti).

God loved us FIRST.

We serve HIM because he CREATED us.

We can offer and give God NOTHING.

Even when we try and talk God OUT of blessing us. 
Even when we don’t listen.
When we don’t deserve it. 
When we wreck it. 
When we’re whiney. 
When we’re ungrateful.
When we doubt.

38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[b] neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Not even ourselves.

God’s blessings and grace in our lives is not earned.

It’s not a paycheck.


It’s life. 

Call to Action: 
You know that FB meme that's going around??...this one??

What if you tried not to complain to your Father for 24 hours? 

Let everything that has breath praise the Lord Psalm 150:6

No comments:

Post a Comment