Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Matthew 25:21

Maybe it was a new batch of eight-month pregnancy hormones.

Or maybe it was because I was on the phone with my auto insurance company (read = company that doesn’t really “care about me” beyond my monthly premium).

Whatever it was (probably a combination of the two) yesterday I definitely had a moment of both aggravation and bewilderment.

See, my monthly premium for my auto insurance had increased.

Sure, it had only gone up $6.00 per month…but when you’ve got two different sized diaper purchases looming in your future, $6.00 is $6.00!

Considering my family has had no obvious life changes or accidents or tickets to report of, I decided I’d pick up the phone and see what it was all about.

Now, I can honestly say the conversation was cordial and the gal I talked to was super nice and obviously just regurgitating a script…but still…I couldn’t believe that the answers she was giving me were supposed to be helpful.

ME: “Hi, my name is Kaitlin and I have a policy with you guys through Company X, and my monthly premium has increased and I was just trying to find out why.”

HER: “Have you had any major life changes, accidents, or other traffic violations?”

ME: “No…”

HER: “Did you just renew your premium?”

ME: “Yes…and it went up.”

HER: “Do you know how much?”

ME: “About $6.00 per month.”

HER: “OH! That happens. Sometimes it goes up, sometimes it goes down, and sometimes it stays the same.”

ME: “Do you know why?”

HER: “There’s no reason. It just happens. You know, lots of other people’s premiums went up a lot more than $6.00 per month.”

At that point I realized I wasn’t getting anywhere with her and said my good-byes and hung up.

Okay, honestly, the amount of effort it would take me right now to find a new comparable policy with the 90 million other things I have going on is truly worth the $6.00 per month in my opinion.

And no doubt my auto insurance company is counting on that.

I guess where I’m going with this is…

Is that answer “That’s just the way it is. No reason,” really SUFFICIENT for the mass majority of auto insurance policy holders?

Seriously?

You can raise my payments without ANY REASON AT ALL, literally TELL ME THAT and that’s “okay?”

How many people don’t even call to question the increase? Or even notice!

And while, I am 100% guilty in playing a role in the whole “conspiracy” (I didn’t switch auto insurances…I didn’t even look around) it got me thinking on a tangent.

What other “little” things come our way daily that we just let go on by?

An opportunity to preach the Good News?

“Oh, that person will probably hear about Jesus somewhere else today.”

An opportunity to have dinner with our families?

“I’m just too busy, I’ve really got to get this project done, and it’s just ONE dinner.”

An opportunity to show support or encouragement to a friend?

“That person has tons of friends; they don’t need me to lift them up!”

I would argue in the grand scheme of things, while auto insurance premiums are truly insignificant in terms of seeking the Kingdom, the above examples, although made to SEEM small, are NOT.

My pastor says the devil has two ways to keep us down.

The first is to defeat us.

But, the second, and far more dangerous (because far more unrecognizable), is to distract us.

What are we distracted by to keep us from the small, “insignificant” things that really matter?

The Bible says we must master the art of taking care of these “little” things before we are able to accomplish the “big” things!

 “The master was full of praise. ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’
Matthew 25:21

No comments:

Post a Comment