Friday, February 24, 2012

Philippians 4:8

I roll my eyes at most bumper stickers, but one a couple weeks ago really caught my eye and my heart.

It read: God doesn’t just want weekend visits; He wants full custody.

I thought this was a fantastic reminder the the Lord treasures His time with us but it was also a reminder that a living God in me isn’t just a weekend gig.

I am learning that being a Christian is less about what I do (the wheels I spin), and more about my continuous and constant trust and communication in the Lord.

God calls us to be with Him not only in our actions, but also in our hearts, and even in our minds.

This always struck me as completely unreachable and unreasonable.  

Seriously? My mind???

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

“Don't you know ANYTHING about the human brain, Lord?!”

 (Of course He does)

“And do you know what percentage of my mental capacity are actually “godly” thoughts, Lord?!”

(Yes, He knows that too)

I thought there was no way that my thought process could even scientifically / synaptically (that’s a Kaitlin-created word that means controlling all the millions (billions) of your brain synapses per day) “restrict” itself in this way; impossible.

But, yet I knew this was what the Bible spoke as Truth and I did want to be closer to God; so, I tried.

I failed miserably.

I utilized the commonly known “fake-it-till-you-make-it” approach.

I’ll just be super nice to the people I cannot stand or whom have wronged me and just curse them in my head.

Wear a fake smile and then scream alone in my car. No problem. Easy as pie.

Right.

Needless to say, this just left me utterly exhausted emotionally and spiritually and well, I was fakin’ it—but absolutely not makin’ it.

Then something weird happened.

I started focusing less on my actions and more on my inner dialogue and thoughts.

If I saw a girl walking by and thought to myself, “Oh my god, skinny jeans? REALLY?”

I would catch myself mid-thought and say the Lord’s Prayer (thank you, St. James Elementary).

After a couple months of that, I started going a bit further.

If I saw my thoughts going south about a certain person or circumstance, I would change it into a prayer of my own.

For instance, “Dear God, I am so extremely mad at X right now. Please help my anger and my frustration…and strike person X with a giant hammer. That'd be sweet. Thank you, Amen.”

After a while of changing my thought process intentionally weird things started happening.

People “bugged” me less.

Like, a lot less.

I began to see things as the Spirit and God wanted me to see them instead of how I saw them.

It was then I realized that my works are nothing without the heart and yes, the mind of Jesus.

Do I have absolutely pure thoughts? No way. Not even close.

But, I am not God, and I am in need of a Savior. That’s what Christianity is all about.

Intentionally and consistently changing my thought process to reflect more Jesus and less Kaitlin insecurities/opinions was the best thing ev-er.

It has filled me up like a glass pitcher where not only am I pouring out actions in vain, but rather actions that I am doing out of this overwhelming and overflowing love of our Father.

My actions have become more about pleasing my Father and enjoying His fellow children not feeling like I need to “earn” my seat in Heaven.

So, these tips worked for me. You can totally use them, or find your own way with the help of God's beloved message to you: the Bible.

Regardless, I would absolutely encourage you to start FIRST with your thoughts and SECOND with your actions.

It works a lot better, and it IS possible to remove the layers of absolute filth that this World has used to consume your brain.

For, everything is possible through Christ, even spiritual rewiring of a very broken web of synapses.







1 comment:

  1. Kaitlin - So nice to meet you via (In)Courage. I really loved this post and the real "How to" steps/advice that you added!

    ReplyDelete