Sunday, January 29, 2012

Reflections of a Mother of Boys

I have an almost-two-year-old boy and an almost-born boy.

I am, undoubtedly (and blessedly) a mother of boys.

Oftentimes I worry that I won't have "what it takes" to raise godly men.

So, I prayed.

I prayed searching for answers, wondering how exactly am I making a difference in the daily life of my boys right now; today?

Is my son even aware of anything right now besides string cheese, Elmo, and looking for the cat on the roof???

The Lord answered me in the most amazing and unusual of ways that only He can do.

He pointed me not to my actions with my toddler, nor the prenatal vitamins on the shelf; but rather, He led me to the daily tasks that as a wife I do in love for my husband.

He pointed to the nights a week that I come home pregnant and exhausted from work and do the entire night routine so that my husband can go the gym. He pointed to dinner on the stove every night. He pointed to the snacks at the grocery store I pick out just for him (jalapeƱo Sun Chips).

The Lord said lovingly, “Treating your husband the way that you do, is speaking louder than you’ll ever know. Your sons in the future will seek women in their lives that treat them as good as you treat your husband.”

Now wait a minute.

I’m just getting started on this whole mom thing!

I burst into tears simply walking by backpacks at Target thinking about the dreaded day when my son will start Kindergarten.

But much of the Lord’s nature is planting small seeds and allowing them to grow.

1 Corinthians 3:6 I planted the seeds in your hearts…but it was God who made it grow.

These tiny and loving daily (mundane) chores and tasks, that from time to time I feel only I notice or appreciate, are not just the obligations of a wife and mother.

They are God’s call to us to prepare not only our marriages, but our sons for their marriages.

I don’t know about you, but I want my son to be with someone that treats him like the amazing person he is.

I know now that this starts with me.

Titus 2:7 In everything set them an example by doing what is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment