Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Jesus Paid it All; All to Him I Owe

Oh praise the One who paid my debt, and raised this life up from the dead.

Our voices clamored together in a sea of worship over these simple words.

Every single one of Jesus’ precious and saved hearts can cling to these words and shout with rejoicing din the Truth in these lyrics.

How amazingly and incredibly grateful we are to have Jesus wipe our slates clean each and every moment of our lives, our spiritual bank account always in the green; our debt forever paid in full.

These words mean different things to each of God’s children, but they ring true for every single one of us.

With the world demanding so much of me each and every day, and being tugged in one million different directions, it is almost unfathomable that in the realm of most influence and purpose and meaning in my life; I am asked to bring nothing to the table.

For really, I have nothing to bring. My debt has been paid.

How often I forget this!

There was one day, however, that will forever remind me of this simple and universal truth.

In July of 2010 I gave birth prematurely to my (adorable) son.

Due to his early arrival, his time in the hospital, and the services he needed, were above and beyond what we had originally anticipated as first time parents.

The emotional toll that had been placed on my and my husband’s heart those 15 days are another story.

Just over a year after that blessed day we brought Braylon into the world, I had received the letter that I had dreaded each and every day since we brought that perfect little bundle home;

the hospital bill.

I had pretty good insurance. All of my prenatal care, ultrasounds, blood tests, non-stress tests, had been covered.

However, the NICU (neo-natal intensive care unit) was something entirely different. Insurance was going to cover some, but absolutely not all.

The doctor’s bill ALONE (NOT including the actual hospital care) was $6,000.00 per day. For 15 days.

After a year of line-by-line transactions and insurance calculations, I was finally receiving the final bill from the hospital.

My husband and I owed $33,712.33.


Yikes.

*gulp*

And, double yikes.

So, I prayed. I prayed and I prayed and I prayed.

How, are we EVER going to get out of this? Dear Lord, HELP!!! SOS!

I decided to go for it and write a letter of rebuttal to the hospital explaining our current financial situation (a young married couple with a new baby and one of us is a student).

I included our tax statements, paystubs, and anything else requested.

The hospital had a history of sometimes approving families of waiving over 10% of their bill!

I figured anything was a help. Even just 10%!

So, I sent out my packet, and again I prayed. I prayed and I prayed and I prayed.

About six weeks later, I received a letter that had me doing spiritual back-flips (and probably physical ones if I had the ability)!

When, I got the letter I remember saying one final prayer and opening the envelope to find a single piece of paper.

It had my account number at the top and my balance of $33,712.33.

It read:

Dear Patient,

After careful review of the information you have provided you have been approved for full assistance to cover your hospital charges.

The balance on the above amount will be reduced to $0 patient responsibility.

Sincerely,

Patient Financial Services

Oh praise the One who paid my debt, and raised this life up from the dead.

Did I DO anything to “deserve” this amazing financial miracle?

Nope.

All I did was pray and allow Jesus to erase the debt. Not because of what I have done or who I am.

But because of how amazing HE is to each and every one of us.

Now, does this mean all Christians have no debt because Jesus automatically literally erases all of it?

Absolutely not.

Churches would have a lot more Porsches and Range Rovers in their parking lots if that was the case.

Does it mean that God answers every single prayer in the way that we expect Him to? In the time frame that we want Him to?


Absolutely not.


But God hears us, and He cares.

You can trust God to move mountains in your life.

Matthew 17:20
"You don't have enough faith," Jesus told them. "I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it would move. Nothing would be impossible."

1 comment:

  1. My cup runneth over with gratitude that this burden was lifted from you my dear. Praise God.
    I love you,
    Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete