Tuesday, January 10, 2012

1 Corinthians 10:31

Seeing that my Netflix queue had only 3 remaining titles, I began to browse through the thousands of movies at my fingertips that could be delivered to my doorstep (or instantly to my television).

It got me thinking about how many, many hours I had spent curled up in front of the couch watching the beautiful (mostly) stories lay out before me.

Usually, when my thoughts turn to these seemingly wasted hours I tend to focus on the things that I could have been doing.

I could have been reading or painting or waterskiing or at the very least folding laundry WHILE watching these movies and television programs.

However, this time my thought process went elsewhere.

How many, many times have I craved a movie to tune out the world around me?

And it wasn’t just movies.

It was songs, and catalogs, and facebook, and planning, and organizing, and cleaning, and mall-walking, and hot showers with candy cane shower gel.

(Even our shower gel markets "escape" and "euphoric mental bliss.")

Why do we need so many escapes from reality?

Our grandfathers and grandmothers would like to put all these “distractions” into the technological category, but I would disagree.

How many, many times have I craved a nap not because of physical or mental exhaustion, but pure world weariness?

In reality, we live in a broken world. A world that needed a Savior. There is around us a constant battle of good verses evil. A million directions the world can pull us in.

In my reality, I have found that Savior. Jesus is mine and through Him, He should be every “escape” that I need.

And furthermore, He is Holy enough, He is "God enough", that escape need not be necessary anymore.

With my feet planted firmly with Jesus in the real, cold hard truth of each day is where my body and mind should ultimately be.

Now, I am not saying that I am not looking forward to "Hanna" coming in on my Netflix tomorrow, of which my husband will be grateful considering the last several movies were of the “girlier” side of the spectrum.

I am just saying we should at the very least SEE these distractions as distractions, and, with all other things practice moderation.

This world is here for us to do some work, fellow Christians! The world is here for us to touch, and smell, and breath-in, and it’s not always as beautiful as the perfectly woven stories with plots that self-solve in around 90 minutes.

I am going to strive to turn each “escape” from reality, into an embrace of reality, as I strive to use EACH “distraction” for the Glory of the Kingdom.

Whatever that looks like... (Hey people, Spirituality is a PROCESS!)

1 Corinthians 10:31
So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the Glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment