Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bubbles




Everyone loves the 2007 romantic comedy “Knocked Up.” I am no exception to this. Great movie.

However, there is one scene that lingers with me longer than the others.

There is a very honest depiction of the contrast of adulthood and childhood in a very short scene at a neighborhood park with father-of-two, Pete, and father-to-be Ben Stone.

Ben Stone: They (Pete’s young daugthers) seem to love bubbles.

Pete: Oh, God. They go (edited) crazy over bubbles!

Ben Stone: They’re really going (edited) crazy.

Pete: I mean, that’s an incredible thing about a child. I mean, what’s so great about bubbles?

Ben Stone: They float. You can pop them. I mean, I get it. I get it.

Pete: I wish I liked anything as much as my kids liked bubbles.

Ben Stone: That’s sad.

Pete: It’s totally sad. Their smiling faces just point out your inability to enjoy anything.


For some reason that scene just really resonates with me.

Now, I am not quite as bored with life as Pete is in the movie, but I really do mourn the loss of my childhood enchantment from time to time.

Remember when Christmas didn’t sneak up on you in a frantic consumer-driven rush?

Remember when testing for sharks in your blow-up pool was a life-saving necessity?

Remember when the Tooth Fairy gave you shiny quarters you felt not just rich but so special to receive a trip from a faraway pixie?

Why don’t we relish the small things? Why aren’t bubbles super cool anymore?

Not only should we enjoy the little things in the eyes of a child for our own happiness, but we are called to do so by God as well.

We are called to have faith like a child. We are called to look at God as a child with the same wonder and joy that a child laughs and frolics with bubbles.

Mark 10:13 Then they brought little children to Him, that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked those who brought them. 14 But when Jesus saw it, He was greatly displeased and said to them, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. 15 "Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it." 16 And He took them up in His arms, put His hands on them, and blessed them.

God isn’t saying here that you have to be of a certain age before you accept Jesus or you are condemned. What He is saying here is that in order to fully allow Jesus into your heart it requires pure, unadulterated faith.

This sort of faith is to be compared to humbling your inhibitions back to being of a child-like mind.

To God we are all his children, no matter how old.
There is a very good reason we call him, Father.

I’ll love you forever.
I’ll like you for always.
As long as you’re living, my baby you’ll be.

(Love You Forever, Robert Munsch)


You’re mission: enjoy some bubbles today. Even if it’s a hot bubble bath.

picture from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/m-oo/2504119100/

No comments:

Post a Comment